Friday, July 14, 2017

An Introduction


My name is Billy Jack Long but most of my friends call me Bill. I live in the little desert town of Needles, California. For most of my life I have been a teacher and a musician, playing the tuba. I am happily married to Hana and I have two grown daughters from a former marriage. Despite my having a vast education, the one thing I learned from having so much school is how much I don't know. I was not happy as a teacher but quite delighted to play tuba. But I am recovering from a heart attack in March which was shortly after my mother died in February. It is my hope that I can get back to my real life (and play tuba again) before Christmas this year. I have to have a surgery on my jaw which I can't have until my heart doctor gives me a clean bill of health.
.
My musical career included seven years playing tuba in US Army bands in Germany, California, and New Jersey, plus I spent a short TDY  (Army abbreviation for temporary duty) with a Navy band which no longer exists. Although I didn't get much rank, I am proud to have served my country as a combat-trained musician. I am a member of the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
.
But I have also played in orchestras, chamber groups, concert bands, studio situations, for weddings, for funerals, at my church, for rodeos, and for circuses. Probably, outside of large tuba ensembles, I like playing in a band the most. 
.
And that's what I hope to cover in this 'Blog. I went to high school in Southern California where my band was very active with band reviews which are parades featuring nothing but bands (and affiliated units) playing a single military march and the bands get scored. The best bands get prizes. I am hoping that the kids in those participating bands will learn something here. In fact I hope I have something to offer everyone involved in the band review movement, whether you are an SCSBOA band or an NCBA band. I think I can help you.
.
Here are some of the things I hope to cover:
  • Composer biographies
  • Background behind marches
  • Basic march knowledge
  • Information about military band enlistment (in the United States)
.
My Facebook page is LoyalTubist. Please feel free to follow me. That's the only way you will know what's going on in my world. As you can see by my profile my day job is working as a historian. I write books and my company has a consulting service that works with the motion picture industry and anyone else who needs historical facts verified. I am also an author. I have written magazine articles about bands and the tuba. 
.
Some other things about me which bear mentioning:
  • I have lived in several foreign countries
  • I speak four foreign languages. English is my mother tongue but I also spoke Spanish growing up.
  • My professional musical activities include playing tuba, conducting, and making musical arrangements
  • I have played tuba on TV on a regular basis
  • I had an award winning high school band in Indonesia
  • I do my best to be humble about my achievements. 
.
Although I am the friendliest middle aged man you will ever meet, I have some strong opinions involving what I write here which may not set too well with younger people. I generally like what a marching band was before the drum and bugle corps influence got in. That sets really well with the band review movement in California, as a drum major who doesn't use a signal baton or a mace just doesn't fit in.
.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please send them to my e-mail at Bill.in.Needles@gmail.com.
.
Some rules about my 'Blog:
  • It's OK to disagree but be nice. No profanity is allowed. 
  • Please read what I say before asking questions.
  • Don't ask me anything that is printed in my profile.
  • Rude emojis are as bad as profanity.
  • Never criticize anyone's name, hometown, or nationality. Being a Billy Jack (I'm not a William) I really got it bad growing up. I like my name.
  • The main thing is to be nice and try to learn something.
.
Thanks for coming.
.
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Le Regiment de Sambre-et-Meuse - - the march better known as French National Defile...

Sambre-et-Meuse was a department of the First French Empire named for the Sambre and Meuse Rivers. The capital of the department was Namur. ...